Friday, March 27, 2009

Good Times at the Bead Oasis

Well - I think I have recovered from the Spring Toronto Bead Oasis. It was a wonderful three days filled with seeing old friends, making new ones and generally having a happy beading time. This Bead Oasis was all the more special for me as I had my assistant, Declan with me. My son Declan is 11 years old and considers himself an honourary member of the Toronto Bead Society. He is at every show with me at the TBS booth, promoting his little heart out. He hands out postcards, responds to general questions and demonstrates his own various chain maille technique. A big shout out to Vickie at Dragon's Lair Beads for enabling his craving for jump rings and for the new jump ring opening ring - which is a real hit! Also, a big thank you to Dylon Whyte for providing expert guidance. I am not sure if I can wait until August to give Declan your book - but I will try. Also, thanks to Gina, who was working the door, who painstakingly undid one of Declan's first project and showed him how to properly check the jump rings before starting a project. I even had someone contact me via e-mail after the show to find out what classes I offer. You can imagine my surprise when it was the chain maille and not wire bead crochet that they wanted to learn! Sorry - but that's Declan's thing and he's not quite old enough to teach....yet! He is signed up for Marilyn Gardiner's class at our UFO night in April and for her class at the TBS Fair in May. Yes - we fight over the chain nose pliers!

Here are some pics taken at the Bead Oasis - enjoy!


Declan's copper chain maille bracelet with lampwork cat charm

We enable the whole family!

One of our lovely volunteers
Ronit showing her stunning ring/bracelet combo
Diane and The Dixon ChickThe Dixon Chick, world reknowned artist Jelcy Romberg and Diane
Aren't we a colourful bunch?Amy Waldman SmithAirWynn
Declan and another young fella who does chain mailleYou would never guess what craziness goes on before the show opens to the public!
Only the graceful Susan Stortini can pull off this look!Declan manning Susan's booth as Zulehka from Blue Sapphire wears Declan's Celtic Star earrings. He wouldn't sell them to her for fear of getting in trouble with me!
The Dixon Chick and an inspired fan, Kate.
Mudder, The Dixon Chick and Tracey
Tracey and I have known each other for years - and then after I met Tim, found out she is married to one of his friends - small world. Mudder - Tracey's mom, flew all the way in from Nova Scotia for the Bead Oasis. Knew me as the Dixon Chick from the beadfx website - not through her daughter. Again, small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment