Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shopping at Fabricland

I was inspired by an article I saw in a beading magazine about using sewing components in your jewellery so on my way home I popped into my local Fabricland. For those of you in Toronto, that would be the one at Empress Walk in North York. So I headed to the area of the store that has buttons, clasps etc. To get there, I had to pass the big John Bead display and the racks and racks of ribbon, but I was focused and did not linger. I bought some very cool buttons to use in my ring designs.



I also bought some metal rings and a carabiner-type thing-a-ma-jig. Laurie-Ann Clinton of Flirt fame used something similar. Next time I see her we'll compare hardware. I excited to create!!!


There were two college girls shopping there who were keen to create. We started chatting in the checkout line as we were all ogling the basket of sale buttons. Turns out that this dynamic duo, named Stephanie (!) and Natasha are design students from Seneca College. We talked about the Creativ Festival where Seneca's students participated in the Swarovski sponsored design contest. It was called Project Catwalk and is one of the festival's highlights. The girls' current project is undergarments. We started tossing around ideas. Stephanie crochets, so I suggested she crochet a bra with wire!!! Think Madonna a la Dixon Chick!!!!

Although our time in line was short, lots of enthusiasm and creativity was shared. And isn't that what it's all about?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment