Wednesday, July 08, 2009

My Favourite Wire Cutters


It was a rough time around my place last week as I thought I had lost my favourite wire cutters. You know what it's like when you have a favourite - nothing else will do. Well that's true in this case, but I really had no other cutters in the house and I had a project deadline to meet.


So, I searched high and I searched low.


I called beadFX because I had just taught a class there - maybe I they got mixed up with the glass tools. Marg, God bless her, checked all over the store for me - but to no avail - they were not there.


I searched Declan's room - thinking my crafty boy had absconded with them, but no, he did not. (Let's not even talk about his tools that I use - no we won't go there!)


Well - this project needs to get done and damn it - I have scissors.


WARNING WARNING WARNING

DO NOT USE SCISSORS TO CUT HEAVY METALLIC SOFTFLEX WIRE

don't ask me any questions - just learn from my mistake(s)!


Crap-a-la-poop!


I called a buddy of mine and left a message on her voicemail that I was having a bead emergency - did she have any flush cutters she could sell me, loan me, trade a cat for? I still haven't heard back from her - I suspect she is on vacation, or is still in shock that I would have a beading emergency. You've had them too, right?


Tick tock tick tock


Scheduled trip to wholesalers proved to be very disappointing (cutter-wise, never bead-wise) - they did not have the ones I was looking for. So - I did it - I cheaped out - and bought the absolute cheapest pair I could find, still convinced that my beloved cutters would be found. I spent $1.38 - and that's Canadian too!


All excited that I had a set of "cutters" (notice the quotations), I took my nearly finished project in hand and went to cut the wire, the Softflex Heavy.....


Nothing happened.


I snipped again.


Still nothing.


I squeezed that sucker so tight together you think I was cracking walnuts at Christmas.


Oh, the torment! These $1.38 cutters did not cut. Okay, they eventually did, but I swear I was in some sort of strange yoga position trying to get those large cutter ends into the delicate area of my project.


Blue Flush Cutters - where are you?


I was in beadFX last week and ended up purchasing another pair of these cutters. They are truly magnificent and worth ever penny - they are about $20.00. I can not live without them. They are perfect for the work I do. A worthwhile investment. You can purchase them here.


I was so happy to have a new pair that I decided to start a new project with some beads that I picked up in Milwaukee. Now where is that bag of beads I asked myself. It appears that one of my two elves had decided that the dining room table was for dining and not beading. How weird is that? I found a rather full bag of beads and such on the hutch. (I know you see it coming...)


I dumped the bag out to see what was in it.....


MY CUTTERS!!!


Save yourself the panic attack that invariably comes with the sudden loss or misplacement of tools by darling family members - buy an extra pair.
You'll be glad to know that no family members were injured as a result of this case...
YET!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that always the way it happens? As soon as you replace an item or stop looking for it, it turns up! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, these are good cutters. Surprisingly I don't own a pair, but once used them regularly in a shop I worked at. And, at a great price. Sharp tip... What more could one ask for?

    Xuron has some good stuff to share about their Micro Shear: http://www.xuron.com/quandas.htm

    And here (scroll down): http://www.xuron.com/consumer/shears.htm

    Best of all, they're made in the USA. Saco, Maine.

    ReplyDelete